The School is one of the oldest in the country. The exact date of foundation is not known, but we know that in 1326 a Chantry School was already established at the old castle of Hanley. At the time of the Reformation, Hanley re-emerged as a Grammar School, and we have a charter from 1544 in the reign of Henry VIII. In 1633 a new body of Trustees was appointed and in 1733 the school was re-built; these buildings (much modified) are still in use today.
The 1991 building programme considerably improved the facilities at the school and as a consequence of becoming a Specialist School for Languages we secured funding for a magnificent new £2 million eight classroom language block which was opened in September 2008.